Are There Side Effects to CBD?
CBD is everywhere these days. And for good reason. Hailed as the next revolution in prescription drugs, CBD has been known to help relieve pain, help with seizures, relieve anxiety and depression, and has the potential to help treat many other medical conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, alcoholism, MS, schizophrenia, PTSD, depression. Research is ongoing, but some experts say CBD could also be a key future ingredient in the fight against cancer and as a cancer-relieving agent of the common side effects of cancer treatments such as nausea and vomiting caused by the harsh drugs involved in chemotherapy.
However, CBD and CBD oils, even though derived from the hemp plant and are all natural, have their skeptics. Some wonder about the side effects of CBD. After all, it is derived from the hemp plant, the same plant that THC, is derived from. THC is the substance that makes marijuana psychoactive. How can we be sure when the studies on CBD, are still in their infancy?
Herbal Pharm Rx, a company dedicated to helping people live a better life through the consumption of CBD and CBD oils, which help to relieve so many conditions, will explore the side effects of CBD in this blog post.
THE SIDE EFFECTS OF CBD
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the dozens of naturally occurring cannabinoids found in the hemp plant. There are actually two types of cannabis plants: the hemp plant and the marijuana plant. The marijuana plant contains much more THC (the psychoactive cannabidiol component) than the hemp plant. CBD tends to be derived from the hemp plant.
CBD has actually been studied a lot longer than given credit for, with some of the first studies done in 1980.
However, all of us are different, and different substances interact with our body in various ways. Take caffeine for example. Caffeine can give you energy, or it may not. It completely depends on the individual.
CBD is known as having no major adverse side effects. However, we’ve compiled a list of reported side effects for your perusal:
- Dry Mouth. CBD oil can cause dry mouth. A 2006 study published showed that the endocannabinoid system, the system in the body that helps with balance in major body systems such as sleep, appetite, pain, and inflammation, has receptors in our saliva glands. When CBD oil activates the receptors, saliva production can drop, resulting in dry mouth. This is not necessarily a bad thing because you body will prompt you to drink more water, which we all need more of.
- Nausea. Some people have reported while taking CBD that their stomachs are upset. CBD oil is used to help relieve nausea and increase appetite, not cause it. However, if you are nauseous from CBD oils, it is usually mild. Simply reduce your dosage of CBD oils.
- Headaches. CBD oil is highly effective in treating headaches and migraines from the reports of hundreds of people who use CBD oils to relieve headache pains. Odds are, if you are experiencing headaches from CBD oils, your CBD oil is probably low quality or contains additives such as ethanol and isopropanol, which cause adverse reactions in some people. Before chucking CBD oils to the wind, Herbal Pharm Rx recommends switching brands to a higher-quality hemp-based CBD oil. Do your due diligence and ask your CBD supplier about the quality of its hemp ingredients. Herbal Pharm Rx uses only the highest-quality hemp plants to ensure you are not putting additives or impurities into your system.
- Lower Blood Pressure. Some people have experienced a drop in blood pressure from taking CBD, resulting in feeling lightheaded. This usually only lasts a few minutes. However, as always when starting new medications, talk to your doctor, especially if you do have blood pressure concerns.
- Lightheadedness or Dizziness. This is usually from the lower blood pressure side effect mentioned above. Again, lightheadedness does not last long, and the effect can be mitigated by taking CBD oils with food.
- Sleepiness or drowsiness. Since CBD is known to be a sleep aid and is used by those suffering from insomnia, drowsiness should not come as a surprise. CBD oils also are used to relieve anxiety and help with relaxation, which also leads to sleepiness. If you do notice effects of drowsiness from your consumption of CBD oils, we recommend not taking CBD oils before driving your car or any other activity where you need to be awake. Since CBD oils acts differently for different people, CBD oil can kick in immediately or over the course of several hours.
- Increased Tremors in Parkinson’s Disease. Those suffering from Parkinson’s Disease have probably already spoken to their doctors about CBD oil consumption. If not, it’s a good idea to consult your doctor ahead of time, and we recommend speaking to your doctor before trying CBD oil. There has been conflicting research on this, with research showing it does increase tremors, and research showing CBD oils don’t increase tremors in those suffering from Parkinson’s Disease. Recently, research shows it helps Parkinson’s Disease. Your doctor can advise you on whether to take CBD oils or not.
Remember, CBD may not be for everyone just like soda is not for everyone. Your body may love CBD and react positively to it, or your body may not like CBD — and will tell you so. And that’s OK. Herbal Pharm Rx is a huge proponent in trying alternatives that work for you. Just like in exercise, some people love to run, while others hate it. Find what works for you.
CAN YOU OVERDOSE ON CBD?
CBD is non-toxic with no known fatal overdoses ever reported. In a study from 2011, results showed that chronic use and high doses up to 1,500 mg/day of CBD were well tolerated in humans. CBD, having no psychoactive properties, does not cause dependence and, therefore, does not cause withdrawal symptoms. CBD has been shown to be safe and effective over long period of time. There has been no evidence to suggest otherwise. Thus, an overdose on CBD remains a very rare possibility indeed.
DO YOU FEEL ANY DIFFERENT WHILE TAKING CBD OILS?
Besides the reason you are taking CBD, such as for relief from seizures, pain, inflammation, or relaxation of the muscles and body systems, you won’t feel anything from taking CBD in your brain, unless of course you do happen to experience the side effects mentioned above. The only thing you should feel while taking CBD is relief.
WHY IS CBD EVERYWHERE?
CBD is gaining more acceptance as education about what CBD is, and as the difference between CBD and THC is disseminated. Like with all new things, acceptance takes time. As CBD acceptance grows, more research is being done, which is exposing more areas CBD can help. For instance, CBD is emerging as a popular wellness ingredient. CBD is showing up in a myriad of products, including coconut oil, body lotion, face serum, olive oil, bath scrubs, cold-brew coffee, sports salve, lip balm, infused water, gummy snacks, and dog treats. The uses for CBD many speculate are only at the tip of the iceberg. As research continues, the future appears limitless for CBD applications and possible treatments.
Herbal Pharm Rx is a leader in supplying high-quality CBD to those who need it. We offer a variety of products to suit your needs, from sleep aids to CBD gummies to CBD capsules for joint relief. As we strive to meet your needs, Herbal Pharm Rx is constantly adding to our CBD oil selection. Check out our newest arrivals online, which include CBD Pain Cream-250 mg, a topical for help with sore muscles, chronic pain, inflammation and sore joints. CBD pain cream absorbs directly into the skin, increasing blood flow to the affected area for a more immediate relief.
Herbal Pharm Rx believes in offering wellness options for your natural lifestyle. Shop online with us today!