How to Introduce Your Pets to CBD
The majority of Americans own pets. According to a 2017-2018 National Pet Owners Survey conducted by the American Pet Products Association (APPA), 68 percent of U.S. households ( which is about 85 million families) own a pet. If you think the average American family is 2.5 people, then that’s about 212 million of us take care of animals. With so many benefits to being a pet owner, from companionship to stress relief, and not to mention cute, adorable, and fluffy, these numbers aren’t surprising.
One of the disadvantages to pet ownership is the good odds that you’ll watch your best friend grow old and die. This is an unpleasant part of life we agree to when we take in a pet under our roofs, but the benefits far outweigh the detractors. In a quest to make our pets happy, healthy, and live longer and more comfortably, we employ veterinarians who are experts in healing our often four-legged family members. But sometimes customary treatments don’t work for your pet’s ailment(s). That’s where CBD can come in and play a role.
CBD AND PETS
There is no definitive evidence CBD helps pets. After all, our pets can’t tell us how they feel and if a substance makes them better or not. We have to go off empirical results only. However, there are some good reasons to believe CBD can help our pets.
- All mammals have an endocannabinoid system (ECS), which helps to regulate key systems in the body such as the nervous system and immune system. This means dogs and cats.
- Testimonials. Pet owners have been using CBD oils and CBD tinctures to treat their cats and dogs for years now. Many pet owners rave how Fido now can more easier and has more energy and how Christmas the Cat can now jump up onto the bed again after not being able to.
- Works universally. The same reasons humans use CBD is the same reasons for pets. The effects are the same. For example, owners report that when Fido is scared of thunder or fireworks, CBD calms him down.
It’s important to understand CBD is the non-psychoactive component of the hemp plant, so Fido and Christmas aren’t going to get high.
Much work still needs to be done. Only California allows veterinarians to discuss cannabis use in animals with patients. Furthermore, research is sorely lacking for CBD and pet use. But these factors have not stopped pet-lovers to seek out what’s best for their pets. A cursory search on Google will lead to hundreds of CBD products for pets, treating conditions such as pain, arthritis, seizures, and other health problems — even cancer. You’ll find CBD tinctures, capsules, and chew treats designed for pets. With a lack of advice available from veterinarians and evidence to support CBD use, Herbal Pharm Rx cautions pet owners to keep the following in mind:
- Consider other medications your pet is on. CBD can react with other medications your pet may be on. Strong caution is urged when choosing CBD for your pet in this case and definitely seek the advice of your veterinarian.
- Have realistic expectations. CBD is known to mitigate symptoms caused by conditions — not cure the actual condition itself. Definitive effects are unknown and are likely years away.
We all want what’s best for our pets, especially if they are ailing, and we can help them. As pet owners, we all do our best to care for the animals we’ve taken into our lives and our homes. However, sometimes what your pet needs most is just you — you and your love. In the end, that’s all that matters to them.
Herbal Pharm Rx supports the right of pet owners to do what they believe is right for their pets. However, strong caution is urged when beginning to give your pet CBD. Start in very small doses and limit the number of times your give it to him or her. When you first begin, try to make sure you will be home for a few hours so you can observe your pet and see if you notice any effects. Try different methods as well if you own a savvy pet and “knows” when you’ve spiked his or her food. And try to be sure you buy CBD products specifically for pets, since most likely the dosage will be low.
Herbal Pharm Rx loves pets and how they enrich our lives. Contact us today for more information!