Uses of CBD Oils: What You Need to Know
CBD, or cannabidiol, is known for relieving many medical conditions, such as anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, and epilepsy. A derivative of the hemp plant, CBD is the non-psychoactive cannabidiol that produces none of the side effects THC, another cannabidiol derivative of the hemp plant, produces. Herbal Pharm Rx, the best online retailer of CBD oil-based products, including CBD tinctures, CBD capsules, and CBD gummies, will list some of the major health conditions CBD oils may treat.
WHAT IS CBD OIL?
Let’s understand what CBD is first. Derived from hemp plants, CBD is a cannabidiol. Naturally-occurring cannabinoids exist in our bodies as a part of the endocannabinoid system — not exactly a system you learned about in school. These cannabinoids and their receptors are in our brains, organs, nervous system, and immune system.
It’s important to understand that CBD is not THC, which is the cannabidiol in hemp plants that carries psychoactive effects and the feeling of being high. CBD does not.
Cannabinoids perform different functions in the different body systems they are a part of, but the overall goal is homeostasis, or maintaining a stable internal environment. Being neuron receptors, cannabinoids also facilitate communication and coordination between different body systems.
HEALTH CONDITIONS CBD OILS MAY TREAT
- Acne. Like the other organs in our body, our sebaceous glands and hair follicles contain cannabinoid receptors. CBD oil can reduce acne because of its anti-inflammatory properties. The most common way to use CBD oil for acne is in a topical form, such as a lotion or cream. Herbal Pharm Rx’s CBD Balm may be perfect for treating acne. Incorporating other natural anti-inflammatories, such as arnica and tea tree oil, this CBD balm is soothing and effective. Make Herbal Pharm Rx’s CBD Balm a part of your daily skin care routine. Order today!
- Anxiety. Affecting millions of Americans, anxiety is when individuals worry excessively, can’t sleep, feel agitated, have trouble concentrating, are irritable and tense, and have panic attacks. Many medications are available to treat anxiety, including CBD. CBD interacts with the body’s own, natural endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is responsible for our appetite, memory, sleep, mood, and pain perception. CBD alters these neurons, in effect ending the symptoms. Since stress is one of the endocannabinoid system’s primary purposes, CBD is very effective in calming anxiety issues.
- Chronic pain. Cannabinoids as we’ve stated are neuron receptors. Pain results from signals our bodies send to our brains through these neuron receptors. CBD can help minimize chronic pain by muffling these pain receptors that send signals to the brain, thereby reducing pain.
- Depression. Like its cousin, anxiety, depression affects millions of adults in the United States. Depression is a prolonged period of sadness, where common treatments include therapy and medication, including CBD oils. CBD stimulates the neuron receptors in the hippocampus, which controls our emotions and helps serotonin to fire more effectively. The hippocampus actually is smaller in those who suffer from depression, and CBD can stimulate neurogenesis, which is the process of the brain creating new neurons.
- Epilepsy. Epilepsy affects millions of people worldwide. Epilepsy is caused by irregular electrical charges firing in the brain that result in seizures, or convulsions, and a loss of consciousness. CBD has been shown to help to significantly diminish the appearance of seizures by intercepting the neurotransmitters that are producing these irregular impulses.
- Glaucoma. Glaucoma, a common eye disease that can cause nerve damage and impact sight, leading to blindness, is a neurodegenerative disease that is often treated by surgery. CBD can lower the intraocular pressure (IOP), which is what causes the vision loss.
- Insomnia. Another condition affecting millions of Americans, insomnia is the inability to fall asleep, which can be caused by a variety of conditions, such as anxiety, working at nights, or changes in the person’s environment. CBD has been used for centuries as a sleep aid, and since it affects the neurotransmitters in the brain, CBD can help the sensors of when to fall asleep and when to wake.
- Loss of appetite and body weight. The region in the brain that controls appetite is called the hypothalamus. CBD tablets and oils affect the receptors on the hormones that cause hunger by blocking that signal, effectively telling you you’re full.
- Muscle spasms. Muscle spasms, or muscle cramps, are often due to overuse of muscles, dehydration, and electrolyte abnormalities. In essence, the muscle contracts and doesn’t release. Any muscle can spasm at any time. CBD works similarly to muscle relaxers, which block communication between the muscles and the brain. Muscles contract in response to nerve impulses that originate in the brain. CBD reacts with the cannabinoid receptors at the site of muscular synapses in the same way as muscle relaxers but without the harsh side effects associated with muscle relaxers. CBD may help with muscle spasms but more research needs to be done.
- Parkinson’s disease. Parkinson’s disease (PD) is a neurodegenerative disorder that affects the dopamine-producing (“dopaminergic”) neurons in a specific area of the brain, resulting in tremors. The cause is unknown but treatments are available, including CBD oils.The endocannabinoid system plays a major role in PD, and patients have shown a remarkable decrease in the symptoms with CBD oil usage.
- Crohn’s disease. Affecting millions of Americans, Crohn’s Disease is a chronic inflammation of the bowels that affects the lining of the digestive system tract. Stomach pain, bloating, diarrhea, and nausea are symptoms. Cannabinoids with their anti-inflammatory effects decreases the inflammation of the digestive tract, which helps to eliminate symptoms.
- Cancer. Studies are only in their infancy with regards to CBD and cancer. Some patients report that cannabinoids may help relieve the symptoms of cancer, such as nausea and pain. However, there is no proof cannabinoids help cure cancer. Herbal Pharm Rx includes cancer here as a condition to watch in the future as research continues in this area.
- Addiction. This may seem counterintuitive at first, mainly because people confuse CBD with THC. THC is addictive; CBD is not, and is in fact an inhibitor to THC. It is exactly this inhibitive property that may help prevent drug relapses in those fighting addictions.
- Healthy heart. Again, we see the anti-inflammatory properties shine in CBD as CBD has been shown to be an effective treatment for high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease by inducing the walls of the blood vessels in the heart to relax. Furthermore, myocarditis, a fancy word for inflammation of the heart, may also be improved by CBD use.
As we’ve seen, the potential for CBD with regards to new treatments for health diseases and conditions that affect humans is limitless. Research is still in its infancy, and Herbal Pharm Rx expects an explosion of new uses and drugs using CBD in the near future.
CBD and CBD oils have various uses. Herbal Pharm Rx offers many different products that may help with the conditions listed above and in our previous blog post. We offer CBD gummies in convenient packages, which are great for on-the-go lifestyles. In addition, our CBD tinctures come in a variety of flavors, such as lemon, natural, and peppermint. These are easy to add to any drink or your favorite foods and are great for starting off slowly and then adding more dosage as time goes on. CBD is also available in tablet form.
Herbal Pharm Rx believes in giving people choices when it comes to their health. Under the guidance of a healthcare professional, CBD may be the product you need to help ease symptoms and lead a normal, healthy life. Call us today!